Friday, December 7, 2012

#9 - Identity

Where I grew up is river country.  Looking back can see that now my first experience with the Suwannee River was a huge deal, even thought it wasn't at the time, and even thought I don't remember it.  I feel like the river has always been there in my life.  It's a part of who I am.

(Me, my sister, and our Dog Ranger in the Suwannee,  taken by my mom)

There isn't one single defining event that I can remember, but being exposed to the outdoors and the river so much in my childhood has given me a love for anything woodsy, wet, and organic.  In high school my family bought three kayaks and we started communing with the river that way.  No motors and loud noises, just the swish of the paddle in the water, the plunk of turtles hurtling into the water, and the call of a hawk in the sky.

 (On the Santa Fe River, taken by my mom)

Ultimately, my nature exposure has led to my love of the national parks and the fabulously bearded John Muir.  These things are and ingrained part of my life.

I pretty much have tannin running through my veins.

(John Muir, from Wikipedia)


(My Suwannee River, taken by me)


(Bryce Canyon National Park, taken by me)

No comments:

Post a Comment