Friday, January 9, 2015

The Short Story of It

In the not-so-distant past I wasn't really into short stories, but I think that's because I was forced to read really awful, boring ones in school.  In my creative writing classes I came to know short stories very differently, because writing them myself (or with friends) meant controlling how awesome they were.  And then I began to come across collections of short stories that I actually liked.  They tended to be unique and sometimes very fairytale-like.  Now I own several short story collections.

My favorite short story authors right now are Shaun Tan and Emily Carroll.  Shaun Tan is the author of Tales From Outer Suburbia.  I first borrowed the book from the library, and then immediately put it on my Christmas list.  The stories remind me of the things Caroline and I write, and they are all very read-aloud worthy.  That's one of the ways I know a story is really good.  Tan also illustrates his stories, which makes them even better.


Cover


Illustration from "Eric"


Illustration from "The Water Buffalo"


Illustration from "Wake"


The most recent author I've come to like is Emily Carroll.  Caroline introduced me to her work last summer during one of our late-night internet parties.  Like Shaun Tan, she also illustrates her work, but Carroll's technique of storytelling is far different.  She employs a more graphic-novel-like approach, which I hope to try with one of my stories very soon.  Caroline gave me her book, Through the Woods, as a graduation present, and I was too excited about it.  While it only contains five stories it's more than twice as thick as my Shaun Tan book, which contains fifteen stories.  Carroll's stories are far darker than Tan's as well.  I noticed that as the book progressed they seemed to get darker.  They make my mind really think: every time I reread I imagine a different reason for the events.


Cover


Illustrations from "Our Neighbor's House"


"Illustrations from "A Lady's Hands are Cold"


Illustrations from "My Friend Janna"

Emily Carroll has many more stories on her website, emcarroll.com.  My favorite story of hers is called "His Face All Red," which can be found in her book and on her website.  You can click here to go directly to that story.

I really hope to work on a story inspired by Emily Carroll's technique this year, even if it's just in my spare time.  I'm really excited about my writing, art, and book-making all coming together.  Big things are coming this year, I can feel it.


No comments:

Post a Comment