Sunday, January 25, 2015

From Dreams

My life is just SO exciting that I couldn't even find anything to write about this week.  Since Friday night I've been struggling to find something, anything, to write about.  Though it's small, and will most likely be short, I finally figured something out.

Last night I finished my dream journal.  Last summer I decided that I would try to start writing down any of my dreams that I could remember in hopes of having some more story material, and to just laugh at what my sleeping brain comes up with.  I was still in the throes of an obsession with creating books, so instead of finding a little journal I liked I decided to make one instead.

I did the basic book-making last summer when I was still in Tallahassee, but I never got around to finishing the cover until yesterday.  I used my favorite technique, which I could probably do in my sleep now, and the whole thing turned out very similar to a book I made in this post.


I'm really happy with the way it turned out.  I did it with plain cream-colored paper, and then found some really crazy fabric in my mom's scrap pile that I wanted to cover it with.  It immediately made me think of dreaming when I saw it.  I had to use a special glue to keep the edges of the fabric from fraying, and I also had to pre-punch the holes before I started sewing, because the paper used for this kind of book is super thick.



I wrote in it a little bit last summer before I finished it, but I forgot about it for a while, so it only has a few entries in it.  It will definitely be taking up residence in my night stand from now on.  Since a lot of my stories come from my dreams, whatever mess I dream is going to be really important one day, like this gem:

July 18, 2014
We were running around a hospital getting into
trouble.  We stole a baby and they kicked us out.

I wonder what kind of story I can write with that?



No comments:

Post a Comment