Tuesday, September 25, 2012

#4 - Found Materials

This past week our lecture was on sculpture, particularly sculpture that uses unconventional materials.  For many of the artists the materials they used were an integral part in what they were trying to convey.






I felt kind of disconnected this week, being a primarily two-dimensional artist.  I'm also still in the stage of discovering who I am as an artist.  So this week I took a bunch of things and experimented.  I ended up taking a ramen box and wrapping it with tissue paper, then painting on it in acrylic using a feather I found the other day and the month old heel of bread I found in my fridge.  I call it Flight.

These materials feel overlooked, like they would end up in a pile of garbage in some back alley dumpster.  At the same time they can create another image sometimes overlooked: the view from your airplane window of perhaps birds flying over the water.






Artist Blog - Found Materials

No comments:

Post a Comment