Monday, June 20, 2016

Fashion From War to War Part IV: 1940s

I love finding these old videos on Youtube.  Not only do they show the contrast of society and values now and then, but they're also hilarious.  This week might be a little short on the writing side, and a day late, but it was Father's Day weekend.  I had more important things to do (like stuff my face with ice-cream and swim in the pool.)
 


The 1940s were characterized by World War II in the first half of the decade, and the post-war boom in the second half.  During the war many things were rationed, which affected pretty much every aspect of life.  The war also brought new innovations, like the Colossus computer, which was used to decipher German codes.  Other things developed in the 1940s were Tupperware, microwave ovens, commercial television, and the Jeep.

Bantam BRC 40, the first Jeep.

Fashion was somewhat dictated by the war in the first half of the decade.  Rationing affected the materials used for clothing, and there were actually allotted amounts of fabric for an outfit.  Hemlines rose once again, usually hitting just below the knee, or thereabouts.  The key components of women's clothing were a strong shoulder, a cinched waist, and an A-line skirt.  During the war some women showed support by wearing victory rolls and red lipstick (though I don't know how they did the lipstick part with the rationing thing.  Hmmm.)  Makeup was simple and eyebrows were now natural (thank goodness!).  Heels and loafers were common footwear.  As women went to work in factories while the men were at war, they started to wear pants much more often.  At first they wore their husbands' pants, but by the end of the war pants for women were being sold in stores. (I don't know why this series is making me so obsessed with pants.)


 


PANTS!

Rationing made things like stocking hard to find.

 

 

Betty Grable

Gene Tierney

 

Pin curl setting pattern.

I actually agonized more over this weeks outfit than last week's, for multiple reasons.  I have a lot of pieces that I can use for the 40s, but I wanted to wear something different from my Nancy Drew getup a few weeks ago.  The dress I had originally planned to wear would have clashed with red lipstick, so I had to find something else.  The skirt and blouse I chose were some really great thrifting finds, especially considering the shirt is silk.  The most horrible part was my hair!  I've never had so many problems doing my hair as I did that morning, and I've done 40s hair several times already.  Thankfully I made it presentable with enough time to put on my lipstick.


Red lips!



And Victory rolls!


The full look.


I can't remember where I got this bag, but it was probably at a thrift store or a yard sale.


The same shoes I used for 1910s week.


And what is 1940s week without the 1940s pose?

I can't believe it, but next week will be the 50s already!  Time for poofy petticoats...yay!


No comments:

Post a Comment