Friday, May 3, 2013

Movie Pie and Art...and the Beginning of an Adventure

Sometimes I just really want to pull my hair out when it comes to movies nowadays.  Here have some homemade pie:




 This rant comes after I discovered that Disney is releasing a fifth 'installment' of Pirates of the Caribbean.  Perhaps they felt like they hadn't been confusing enough in their last one?  I'm really not surprised at this development though, given Disney's current reputation for horrible movies.  I'm not saying all of them are horrible, I'm just saying that most of them probably make Walt turn over in his grave.  He's made it nice and roomy by now.  And then just think what they're going to turn Star Wars into...

The last good movie I've seen from Disney was Brave.  I've heard people say that Merida just runs around and does nothing and gets nothing done, but at least she's not running around with some random guy.  I was just finally happy to see a Disney princess who didn't need a guy.

Disney's partnership with Pixar is one of their only bright spots.  I've seriously never seen a Pixar film I didn't like.  Their relationship has been a bit rocky in the past, though...something about Disney being greedy I think (I hope you caught the sarcasm).

You know, when I was little I would have given anything to work for Disney.  I seriously wanted to be an animator.  That dream died a long time ago.  Today, I have absolutely no desire to work for Disney.  None.  I'd rather tell my own stories, like this one:



Yay!  It's my book!

The story is based on a dream I had which I'm currently turning into a short story.  It involves time travel, memory loss, and  paradoxes.  I started out wanting it to flow smoothly and transition from frame to frame in a very understood way, but as I went through the process of planning it out I began to fragment the story, purposely not giving any one narrative or meaning, giving it a dream-like quality.  I want people to interpret this the way they see it, I them to come away with their own interpretation of the story.  I've begun to understand that in order to make my art more accessible I should pull back and not make things so firm and planned and set in stone as I usually do.  In no way do I see this as a sacrifice, though, I see it as growth as an artist.  I'm more proud of myself for that than for doing all the work on this book.  However, because of time constraints I had to cut out the last four pages, but I intend to finished them and add them in this summer.

Now that we're done with our personal growth session, more pictures!





From the back.




From the front.






When you put a light source behind the book you get to see the hidden phrases in the pages (the writing isn't actually on the drawing, it's behind it).  These are my three favorite pages where the writing worked especially well with the image.





The cover took a lot of work too, but I really love the way it turned out.  The only thing I'm not sure about are the comments from my classmates that it kind of looks like a giant ice-cream sandwich.  Do you see that?  The fabric is a discontinued sample I got for a dollar at Joann's (win!), and the metal piece was something I found on the sidewalk one day when Caroline and I missed our bus stop and walked back to the apartment from the next one.  I really pleased at how successfully this came out and I'm looking forward to doing more of these in the future.

Guess what else? I finished repainting my ukulele!  Now begins the horrendous period where I have to tune it  every five seconds until the strings get back into their comfort zone.







Awesome accents, right?  They're actually more aqua/turquoise but the lighting made it look blue.  But I know what you guys are really waiting for...

BAM!




I think I love this back soooooooo much more than the first one.  I'll be keeping this design for a while.  And a special thanks to my lamp:

This little guy helps me out with lighting since the lighting here in the apartment is really stinky.  If this guy died, I'd be so sad.

Okay, it's summer guys.  The semester is finally over and I survived my first year at FSU!  So what's next?  Adventures galore!  Tallahassee has really overwhelmed me with a lack of possibilities, or maybe it's underwhelmed me with possibilities...I don't know, I just know I need a break from this place.  Today is my last day here for the summer.  Tomorrow I'm going to Panama City!  I'm staying there for the whole summer to work and have fun and work and hang out with family and friends and work and go to a wedding and work.  Did I mention I'm going to be working?  Not just at a job, but also on my artwork.  I have a painting to work on and I'm going to start another book too.  I'm beyond excited!  Let the adventure begin!



No comments:

Post a Comment