Friday, April 12, 2013

"There's An Entire World Out There, You Know?"

I love adventures, and this week I've had a lot.  Last Friday was First Friday, a crazy night at Railroad Square dedicated to crazy art.  I've been there before, but last week I also went to the Art Alleys and helped man the doodle cart.  It was funtastic!  Then on Wednesday I went over to my new friend Lauren's apartment and played with her kittens.  They were irresistible!  I love kitties.  But tonight, tonight was the best.

Tonight, Caroline and I went to the BFA Studio Art Grad Show Reception.  Holy smokes, Batman!  It was reeeeeeeeeeeally interesting.  I had a lot of fun.

When we got there there were already a good amount of people there, and they had food!  Caroline and I sniffed out where it was and found cheese and grapes and crackers and chocolate waiting for us.  There was punch too, but it could have used some sprucing up with sherbert.

When we first came in we were greeted by a cordoned off space where unicorns were supposed to be dancing later.  Yeah.

Then it was on to a performance!  We waited for it to start for a long time, and at one point someone who worked there was so bothered by people getting so close to some paintings that he ended up putting velvet ropes in front of them.  Superhero.

It was really packed in so Caroline and I stood behind all the people sitting on the floor.  We had to squeeze in between people, but we got a pretty good view.  The performance was nice, but really strange.  I got the vibe that the dancing girls took something from the dancing guy, and then he kind of died.  And he was wearing a dress.  I would have taken pictures of that, but I was to fixated on the strangeness.  For the first five minutes the guy next to me decided that he wanted to dance.  The rest of the time he alternated between leaning in front of me, making faces at a little girl, and sitting on the floor.  He was annoying.

After the performance we walked around the gallery.  There were these really huge paintings that reminded me a lot of Mark Rothko's work, which I don't like.  I wasn't really impressed by them, but I kind of liked this one.  It was the busiest one.





And then there was this really awesome wall of paintings. 





Then we went downstairs.  This piece is made out of clay, which I didn't notice at first.





And these were on the wall opposite.  Hey, there's Caroline!





This one was one of my favorites.  They're magical empty tea bags!





I don't know what this thing sitting in the middle of the room was, but it kept reminding me of a beaver dam.


I didn't notice until after I uploaded the picture that the dam totally looks photoshopped.


Then I Caroline took my picture under this strange thing.  We were art tourists.



These were really awesome.  They reminded me of the circle stories Caroline and I write.





Ceramic paint tube girl.  I would make a joke about mixed media, but I don't think it would be funny.





Caroline in a mask.  I asked her to do it just so I could take a picture.





At this point, I thought the dance at the beginning was the strangest part of the night.  I was wrong.  When we went back upstairs the unicorns were in full swing.  They were partying in their own little world.  At one point we heard one of them say, "There's an entire world out there, you know?" There was also a unicorn confessional.  When we got really close it just sounded like the unicorn priest was talking out of his butt.  This was the best picture I got of that.




We watched the crazy unicorns dancing for a while and then we were going to leave, but we ran into my new friend Lauren.  She told us that we could actually go INTO the unicorn room!  I was really reluctant, but we went anyways.  It was crazy!  The unicorn DJ had an awesome moustache that he kept twirling.  At one point one of the unicorns came up to us and said, "She has cats, she has cats, I know it.  You gotta be careful," as he proceeded to rub our shoulders with a lint roller.  I couldn't stop laughing!

Outside of the unicorn party.




Inside of the unicorn party.




After we finally left the unicorn party we saw the lint roller unicorn again with another unicorn who proceeded to stick the lint roller down the crotch of her pants so he couldn't get it.  That was when we knew it was time to go back to the apartment.

Caroline is going to be talking about the unicorns for the next month.




1 comment:

  1. You can use some of my pictures on facebook if you want. : D
    The night was so fun, I'm really glad that I went even though I had homework. Awesome blog!

    ReplyDelete